The Compound Effect Summary
- 🔴Darren Hardy’s compound effect is one of the most important book that I read again and again to remind myself of the tools and techniques Darren teaches. The techniques are so simple yet so effective.
💡You don’t make $ 200,000 a year spending two hours a day on the Internet, or lose 30 pounds in a week.
💡Therefore, you have to work towards your goals every single day. This book won’t teach you anything new or give you a magic pill. This book will re-visit the basic ideas which you are already aware of.
Chapter 1: The Compound Effect In Action🎯
- 🔥Definition: “The Compound Effect is the principle of reaping huge rewards from a series of small, smart choices.”
- Even though results are massive, the steps, in the moment, don’t feel significant. Use these small subtle changes to improve your health, relationships, finances, goals or anything else that matters.
- Realize that small seemingly insignificant steps completed consistently over time will create a radical difference. Remember this formula:
- 🔥Small, Smart Choices + Consistency + Time = Radical Difference
💡When you understand how the Compound Effect 🔥works, you won’t pine for quick fixes or silver bullets. 🔴Don’t try to fool yourself into believing that a mega-successful athlete didn’t live through regular bone-crushing drills and thousands of hours of practice. He got up early to practice—and kept practising long after all others had stopped. He faced the sheer agony and frustration of the failure, loneliness, hard work, and disappointment it took to become No. 1.
Chapter 2: Choices🥇
- Choices are the root of everyone of your results. Each choice starts with a behavior that overtime becomes a habit. In essence, you make your choices, and then your choices make you.
- Every choice has an impact on the Compound Effect of your life. Become aware and make choices that support the expansion of your life.
💡Your biggest challenge isn’t that you’ve intentionally been making bad choices. Heck, that would be easy to fix. Your biggest challenge is that you’ve been sleepwalking through your choices.
💡Half the time, you’re not even aware you’re making them! Our choices are often shaped by our culture and upbringing. They can be so entwined in our routine behaviors and habits that they seem beyond our control.
- For most of us, it’s the frequent, small and seemingly inconsequential choices that are of grave concern. It’s the 🔥little things that inevitably and predictably derail your success.
- Darren discusses the importance of giving your 100% in a relationship. Neither 50-50, 51-49 or 80-20 will work. From your side you have to give 100%. Even small gestures taken consistently counts.
Getting Lucky: We all are lucky to get equal opportunity in life. It is in our hands how we make that luck work in our favor. Here is the formula of getting really lucky in life. The complete formula for getting lucky:
- Preparation (personal growth)🎯 + Attitude (belief/mindset)🚀 + Opportunity (a good thing coming your way) 💯+ Action (doing something about it) = Luck🎉
- Preparation: By consistently improving and preparing yourself—your skills, knowledge, expertise, relationships, and resources—you have the wherewithal to take advantage of great opportunities when they arise (when luck “strikes”).
- Attitude: This is where luck evades most people. It’s simply a matter of seeing situations, conversations, and circumstances as fortuitous. You cannot see what you don’t look for, and you cannot look for what you don’t believe in.
- Opportunity: It’s possible to make your own luck. In this stage of the formula, luck isn’t forced. It’s a natural occurrence, and it often shows up seemingly of its own accord.
Your Secret Weapon – Your Scorecard
- The first step towards change is 🔴awareness. If you want to get from where you are to where you want to be, you have to start by becoming aware of the choices that lead you away from your desired destination. Become very conscious of every choice you make and make smart choices moving forward.
Track every action that relates to the area of your life you want to improve.
- 💡For Example: You want to run 10K event 8 weeks from now. Count every step and every action you are going to take towards your goal. Track how much you can run today, track how you need to improve on diet by increasing protein intake, track the number of glasses of water you drink, track your total number of steps of the day. Carry a notebook and write each of the action you are taking. Every day. Without fail. No excuses, no exceptions.
- Through tracking the progress and missteps is the reason success can be accumulated. The process forces you to be conscious of your decisions
Jim Rohn Says:🔊
💡What’s simple to do is also simple not to do.
- The magic is not in the complexity of the task; the magic is in the doing of simple things repeatedly and long enough to ignite the miracle of the Compound Effect.
- Tracking is a simple exercise. It works because it brings moment-to-moment awareness to the actions you take in the area of your life you want to improve.
- Every professional athlete and his or her coach track each performance down to the smallest minutiae.
💡Want that idiot-proof system we talked about earlier? This is it. So, regardless of whether you think you’re aware of your habits or not (believe me, you’re not!), I’m asking you to start tracking.
💡Doing so will revolutionize your life, and ultimately, your lifestyle
Time Is of the Essence
- The earlier you start making small changes, the more powerfully the Compound Effect works in your favor.
- It’s never too late to reap the benefits of the Compound Effect.
💡Suppose you’ve always wanted to play the piano, but feel it’s too late because you’re about to turn forty. If you start now, by the time you’re retirement age, you could be a master, as you’ll have been playing for twenty-five years! The key is to start NOW.
- Focus on little – little improvements each day. Even 1/10 or 1/25 or 1/50th of the improvement will be a lot when compounded after a year or so.
- 🍁For example: If you plan to walk 10,000 steps a day, start by counting 🔴100 steps a day. Gradually increase 5-10% every other day and you will the improvement in your steps counts. Eventually you will not feel too much pain by the time you reach 10,000 steps. On a high level, you will see improvements like this: 100 –> 110 –> 120 –> 140 –> 160 –> 200 –> 240 –> 300 –> 340 –> 400 –> 450 –> 500 –> 550 –> 600 –> 660 –> 700 –> 770 –> 800 –> 900 –> 1000 and so on. As you see eventually you will reach 10,000 steps a day within few months – slow and steadily. This in result will give you a great healthy lifestyle.
Keeping It Slow And Easy
- You picked up an area where you want to improve. Now you are all set for the tracking. To set up the tone, just 🔥track one habit for one week. Pick the 🔴habit that has the greatest control over you; that’s where you’ll start. Once you begin reaping the rewards of the Compound Effect, you’ll naturally want to introduce this practice into other areas of your life. In other words, you’ll choose to choose tracking.
- Tracking looks simple, but only when you do it. Choose a category, and a start date.
- 🔥I am going to start tracking ……….on……….
- You will be astonished to see the results of the tracking after a week. To make it a habit, track for more weeks and you will see how this one habit of yours of tracking one goal reap you the results.
- When you track with awareness, you’ll find yourself showing up in your life very differently.
- Once you start tracking your life, your attention will be focused on the smallest things you’re doing right, as well as the smallest things you’re doing wrong. And 🔴when you choose to make even the smallest course corrections consistently, over time, you’ll begin to see amazing results.🎯
- Compounding effect will result in an exceptional payoff. It’s the 🔥littlest disciplines that pay off over time, the effort and preparation for the great triumph that happened when no one was looking. And yet the results are exceptional.
💡A horse wins by a nose, but gets 10 times the prize money. Is the horse 10 times faster? No, just a little bit better. But it was those extra laps around the track, the extra discipline in the horse’s nutrition, or the extra work by the jockey that made the results a slight bit better with compounded rewards.
- It’s not the big things that add up in the end; it’s 🔥the hundreds, thousands, or millions of little things that separate the ordinary from the extraordinary.
Chapter 3: Habits📚
- 🔥Creatures of Habits:
- Aristotle wrote, “We are what we repeatedly do.” Merriam-Webster defines habit this way: “An acquired mode of behavior that has become nearly or completely involuntary.”
- 🔴95 percent of everything we feel, think, do, and achieve is a result of a learned habit!
- Our habits and routines allow us to use minimal conscious energy for everyday tasks. They help keep us sane and enable us to handle most situations reasonably well.
- Habits can be helpful—as long as they’re good habits, that is.
💡If you eat healthfully, you’ve likely built healthy habits around the food you buy and what you order at restaurants. If you’re fit, it’s probably because you work out regularly.
- Great achievers, CEOs, and superstars share one common trait – they all have good habits. 🔥 Habits take them in the direction of becoming more informed, more knowledgeable, more competent, better skilled, and better prepared.
- A 🔥daily routine built on good habits is the difference that separates the most successful among us from everyone else.
Start by Thinking Your Way Out of the Instant Gratification Trap:
- Indulging in our bad habits doesn’t seem to have any negative effects at all in the moment.
- It’s time to WAKE UP and realize that the habits you indulge in could be compounding your life into repeated disaster. The slightest adjustments to your daily routines can dramatically alter the outcomes in your life.
Finding your Mojo – Your 🔥Why-Power:
- You’ve tried willpower before and it’s failed you. You’ve set resolutions and you’ve let them go. Forget about willpower. It’s 🔥time for why-power.
- Your choices are only meaningful when you connect them to your desires and dreams. The wisest and most motivating choices are the ones aligned with that which you identify as your purpose, your core self, and your highest values. You’ve got to want something, and know why you want it, or you’ll end up giving up too easily.
- 🔥🔥🔥So, What is Your Why?🔥🔥🔥
- You’ve got to have a reason if you want significant improvements in life. Your Why must be fantastically motivating to You. So Identify your why! What motivates you? What Ignites you? What makes you go, go, go, go?
Why Everything’s Possible?
- Power of Why is what 🔴gets you to stick through the grueling, mundane and laborious.
- To truly ignite your creative potential and inner drive, you have to look beyond the motivation of the monetary and material goals. You have to dig deeper to find your core motivation and to activate your superpower. 🔥Your Why-Power!
- Access to your 🔴why-power is through your core values, which defines both who you are and what you stand for. Your core values are your internal compass, your guiding beacon, your personal GPS.
- 🔴Defining your core values also helps make life simpler and more efficient. Decision making is also easier when you are certain of your core values.
Find Your Fight:
- Enemies give us a reason to stand tall with courage. Having to fight challenges your skills, your character, and your resolve. It forces you to assess and exercise your talents and abilities. Without a motivating fight, we can become fat and lazy; we lose our strength and purpose.
- We can all make powerful choices. We can all take back control by not blaming chance, fate, or anyone else for our outcomes. It’s within our ability to cause everything to change. Rather than letting past hurtful experiences sap our energy and sabotage our success, we can use them to fuel positive, constructive change.
- Compound Effect is always working, and it will always take you somewhere. The question is, where? You can 🔥harness this relentless force and have it carry you to new heights. But you must know where you want to go. What goals, dreams, and destinations do you desire?
- Effectively setting and achieving goals can give you abundance in life. Something almost magical happens when you organize and focus your creative power on a well-defined target.
💡The highest achievers in the world have all succeeded because they mapped out their visions.
💡The person who has a clear, compelling, and white-hot burning why will always defeat even the best of the best at doing the how.
- 🔥How Goal Setting Actually Works: The Mystery “Secret” Revealed
- When you define your goals, you give your brain something new to look for and focus on. It’s as if you’re giving your mind a new set of eyes from which to see all the people, circumstances, conversations, resources, ideas, and creativity surrounding you. With this 🔴new perspective (an inner itinerary), your mind proceeds to match up on the outside what you want most on the inside—your goal.
Brian Tracy Says:🔊
💡Top people have very clear goals. They know who they are and they know what they want. They write it down and they make plans for its accomplishment.
- 🚀Do this today:
- Make a list of all your goals today
- Choose all aspects of your life. Do not limit it to business or finances
- Go for whole – life success
Balance in all the aspect of the life that are important to you:
Who You Have To Become
- Ask yourself – 🔴“Who do I need to become?” If you want to have more, you have to become more. Success is not something you pursue. What you pursue will elude you; it can be like trying to chase butterflies. Success is something you attract by the person you become.
- What stands between you and your goal is your behavior. Do you need to stop something so compound effect is working against you or Do you need do start something so compound effect works in your favor?
- Your Life Comes Down To This Formula:
- 🔴You —> Choice + Behavior + Habit + Compounded = 🔥Goals
- It is imperative to figure out which behaviors are blocking the path that leads to your goals, and which behavior will help you accomplish your goal.
- Make a list of the 👺bad habits that might be sabotaging your progress in each area. Write down everyone.
- Next, add to that list all the 🍁habits you need to adopt that, practiced and compounded over the time, will result in you achieving your goals.
- Making a list gives you a clear headed perspective on what aspects you want to improve on.
- Game Changers: Five Strategies for Eliminating Bad Habits
Identify Your Triggers
- Look at your bad habits and analyze – “Who”, “What”, “Where”, and “When” of your bad habits.
- When you feel to eat more?
- What triggers you to drink more?
- When do you feel angry?
- Who forces you to eat sweets?
- Where do you feel to sleep more?
- Under what conditions you smoke more?
- Analyze and write down your triggers. This simple action will make you aware of the situation.
- Look at your bad habits and analyze – “Who”, “What”, “Where”, and “When” of your bad habits.
- Get to scrubbing – Clean the house. Remove the triggers. If you want to stop drinking alcohol, remove every drop of it. If you want to stop drinking coffee, sell your coffee machine. If you have habit of ordering junk food, delete all the food ordering Apps.
- Get rid of whatever enables your bad habits.
- See your list of the bad habits. Can you swap it with an alternative which affects in a good way? Or kick it out all together?
- For some of your long-standing and deep-rooted habits, it may be more effective to take small steps to ease into unwinding them. You may have spent decades repeating, cementing, and fortifying those habits, so it can be wise to give yourself some time to unravel them, one step at a time.
Or Jump In
- Some researchers have found that it can be paradoxically easier for people to make lifestyle changes if they change a great many bad habits at once
- Sometimes wading in just won’t do. Sometimes you really do have to jump in
- Ask yourself now, “Where can I start slow and hold myself accountable?” And, “Where do I need to take that bigger leap? Where have I been avoiding pain or discomfort, when I know deep down that I’ll adapt in no time if I just go for it?”
- 🔥🔥Game Changers: Six Techniques for Installing Good Habits🔥🔥
- According to research, it takes three hundred instances of positive reinforcement to turn a new habit into an unconscious practice.
- There is a much better chance of cementing a new habit into our lives after three weeks of diligent focus. That means that if we bring special attention to a new habit daily for the first three weeks, we have a far better chance of making it a lifelong practice.
- The 🔥key is staying aware. If you really want to maintain a good habit, make sure you pay attention to it at least once a day, and you’re far more likely to succeed.
1. Set Up Yourself To Succeed
- 🔴New habit has to work inside your life and lifestyle
- If you want to work out and your gym is far, you won’t commit
- If you get time in late evening but gym closes at 6 pm, it won’t work for you
- If you want to eat healthy but your fridge is filled junk food, it won’t work for you
- If you want to work with focus but your phone notifications keep coming up, you won’t focus
- 🔴Work your way towards adjusting your environment so that it works in your favor.
- Choose a nearby gym if possible or buy minimum required exercising items to workout at home
- Fill your fridge with healthy snacks
- Keep notifications off while working or work on airplane mode
- 🔴New habit has to work inside your life and lifestyle
2. Think Addition, Not Subtraction
- Think of an 🔴activity that supports your habit. If you crave for junk food and indulge in overeating, don’t starve yourself immediately to stop that habit. Instead fill your stomach with lot of healthy vegetables. This way you won’t starve and you won’t crave for more food.
3. Go for a PDA: Public Display of Accountability
- Want to 🔴cement that new habit? Get Big Brother to watch you. It’s never been easier with all the social media available.
- Tell your family. Tell your friends. Tell Facebook and Twitter. Get the word out that there’s a new sheriff in town, and you’re in charge.
4. Find a Success Buddy
- There are few things as powerful as two people locked arm and arm marching toward the same goal. To up your chances of success, get a success buddy, someone who’ll keep you accountable as you cement your new habit while you return the favor.
- You 🔥might seek out a success buddy for regular walks, runs, or dates at the gym, or to meet to discuss and trade personal-development books.
5. Competition & Camaraderie
- There’s nothing like a friendly contest to whet your competitive spirit and immerse yourself in a new habit with a bang.
- What kind of friendly competition can you organize with your friends, colleagues, or teammates? How can you inject fun rivalry and a competitive spirit into your new habit?
- You’ve got to find little rewards to give yourself every month, every week, every day—even something small to acknowledge that you’ve held yourself to a new behavior.
- 🥇Change Is Hard: Yippee!
- There is a one thing that 99 percent of “failures” and “successful” folks have in common—they all hate doing the same things. The difference is successful people do them anyway. Change is hard.
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr says:🔊
💡“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge.”
💡When you press on despite difficulty, tedium, and hardship, that’s when you earn your improvement and gain strides on the competition. If it’s hard, awkward, or tedious, so be it. Just do it. And keep doing it, and the magic of the Compound Effect will reward you handsomely.
- 😇Be Patient:
- 🔴Creating new habits (and burning new grooves into your brain) will take time. Be patient with yourself. If you fall off the wagon, brush yourself off (not beat yourself up!), and get back on. No problem. We all stumble. Just go again and try another strategy; reinforce your commitment and consistency. When you press on, you will receive huge payoffs.
Chapter 4: Momentum🥋
- Big Mo is, without doubt, one of the most powerful and enigmatic forces of success. You can’t see or feel Mo, but you know when you’ve got it.
- Once you’ve got Mo on your side, there’s almost no way anyone can catch you.
- Harnessing the Power of Big Mo:
- Law of Inertia: Objects at rest tend to stay at rest unless acted on by an outside force. Objects in motion tend to stay in motion, unless something stops their momentum.
- It’s not easy to build momentum, but once you do, look out!
- You get started by taking one small step, one action at a time. Progress is slow, but 🔥🔥once a newly formed habit has kicked in, Big Mo joins the party. Your success and results compound rapidly.
- Ever wonder why successful people tend to get more successful… the rich get richer… the happy get happier… the lucky get luckier? They’ve got Mo. When it rains, it pours.
- How do you get Big Mo to pay you a visit? You build up to it. You get into the groove, the “zone,” by doing the things we’ve covered so far:
- Making 🔴new choices based on your goals and core values
- Putting those 🔴choices to work through new positive behaviors
- 🔴Repeating** those healthy actions long enough to establish new habits
- 🔴Building routines and rhythms into your daily disciplines
- 🔴Staying consistent over a long enough period of time
- Then, BANG! Big Mo kicks in your door (that’s a good thing)! And you’re virtually unstoppable.
- Some of our best intentions fail because we don’t have a system of execution.
- A routine is something you do every day without fail, so that eventually, like brushing your teeth or putting on your seatbelt, you do it without conscious thought.
- To reach 🔴new goals and develop new habits, it’s necessary to create new routines to support your objectives.
- The greater the challenge, the more rigorous our routines need to be.
- 💡Ever wonder why military boot camp is so hard—where relatively minor tasks like making the bed, shining your shoes, or standing at attention become over-the-top important? Building routines to prep soldiers for combat is the most effective way to elicit efficient, productive, and reliable performance under intense pressure.
- Developing a 🔥routine of predictable, daily disciplines prepares you to be victorious on the battlefield of life.
- A 🔥daily routine built on good habits and disciplines separates the most successful among us from everyone else. A routine is exceptionally powerful.
- To create profitable and effective routines, you must first decide what behaviors and habits you want to implement.
Bookend Your Days:
- The key to becoming world-class in your endeavors is to build your performance around world-class routines.
Getting into a Rhythm: Finding Your New Groove
- Once your daily disciplines have become a routine, you want the succession of those steps to create a rhythm. When your disciplines and actions jibe into a regular weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly rhythm, it’s like laying a welcome mat at the front door for Big Mo.
- When your disciplines and actions develop a rhythm, you welcome Big Mo.
- Darren has maintained a Rhythm register to track new behavior. Check it out at www.TheCompoundEffect.com/free.
- 💡If you want to drink more water or take more steps each day or acknowledge your spouse more affectionately—whatever behavior you’ve decided you need to move toward your goal—you’ll want to track it to make sure you’re establishing a rhythm.
- Darren Says:🔊
The Power of Consistency
- Nothing kills Big Mo quicker and with more certainty than a lack of consistency.
- When you start thinking about slacking off on your routines and rhythms, consider the massive cost of inconsistency.
- 🔥Consistency is the key to achieving and maintaining momentum.
- You have to do to keep the pressure steady is to just pump the lever consistently. That’s the Compound Effect.
Chapter 5: Influences📊
For you to sustain your positive trajectory toward your goals, you’ll need to understand and govern these influences so they will support rather than derail your journey toward success. Everyone is affected by three kinds of influences: input (what you feed your mind), associations (the people with whom you spend time), and environment (your surroundings):
Input: Garbage In, Garbage Out
- If you want your body to run at peak performance, you’ve got to be vigilant about consuming the highest-quality nutrients and avoiding tempting junk food. If you want your brain to perform at its peak, you’ve got to be even more vigilant about what you feed it.
- Your brain is not designed to make you happy. Your brain has only one agenda in mind: survival.
- We can change our behavior. We can teach our minds to look beyond “lack and attack.” How? We can 🔥protect and feed our mind. We can be disciplined and proactive about what we allow in.
- Seek for the following things and not negative things in life (media, junk, gossip)
- 🔥🔥🔥Positive, inspirational, and supportive input and ideas. Stories of aspiration, people who, despite challenges, are overcoming obstacles and achieving great things. Strategies of success, prosperity, health, love, and joy. Ideas to create more abundance, to grow, expand, and become more.🔥🔥🔥
Associations: Who’s Influencing You?
- According to research by social psychologist Dr. David McClelland of Harvard, your “🔥🔥reference group” determines as much as 95 percent of your success or failure in life.
- Who do you spend the most time with? Who are the people you most admire? Are those two groups of people exactly the same? If not, why not? You cannot hang out with negative people and expect to live a positive life.
- Reappraise and reprioritize the people you spend time with. These relationships can nurture you, starve you, or keep you stuck.
- Find a Peak-Performance Partner
- Find people who care enough about you to be brutally honest with you. Ask them these questions: “How do I show up to you? What do you think my strengths are? In what areas do you think I can improve? Where do you think I sabotage myself? What’s one thing I can stop doing that would benefit me the most? What’s the one thing I should start doing?”
- Invest in Mentorship
- Develop Your Own Personal Board of Advisors
- Who should be on your personal board of advisors? 🔴Seek out positive people who have achieved the success you want to create in your own life.
Environment: Changing Your View Changes Your Perspective
- Creating a 🔥positive environment to support your success means clearing out all the clutter in your life. Not just the physical clutter that makes it hard for you to work productively and efficiently (although that’s important too!), but also the psychic clutter of whatever around you isn’t working, whatever’s broken, whatever makes you cringe.
- Each and every incomplete thing in your life exerts a draining force on you, sucking the energy of accomplishment and success out of you as surely as a vampire stealing your blood.
- Every incomplete promise, commitment, and agreement saps your strength because it blocks your momentum and inhibits your ability to move forward.
- You will 🔴get in life what you accept and expect you are worthy of.
Chapter 6: Acceleration🚀
- If you’re a runner, you know the experience. You get to the goal you set for yourself that day, and you’re feeling the burn, you’re at your wall, but you go a little farther, a little longer. This 🔴“little longer” is really a massive expansion of your limits. You have multiplied the results of that single run.
- Viewing yourself as your toughest competitor is one of the best ways to multiply your results. 🔴Go above and beyond when you hit the wall. Another way to multiply your results is pushing past what other people expect of you—doing more than “enough.”
- Where in life can you do more than expected when you hit the wall? Or where can you go for “WOW”? It doesn’t take a lot more effort, but the little extra multiplies your results many times over. Whether you’re making calls, serving customers, recognizing your team, acknowledging your spouse, going for a run, bench pressing, planning a date night, sharing time with your kids, whatever… 🔥what’s the little extra you can do that exceeds expectations and accelerates your results?
- Sometimes doing the unexpected is required to get your voice heard. If you have a cause or ideal worthy of attention, do what it takes, even the unexpected, to make your case heard. Add a little audacity to your repertoire.
- Where 🔴can you do better and more than expected? When can you do the totally unexpected? Find as many opportunities for “WOW,” and the level and speed of your accomplishments will astonish you… and everyone else around you.
- Learning without execution is useless.
- The Compound Effect and the results it will manifest in your life are the real deal. Never again will you wish and hope that success will find you. The Compound Effect is a tool that, when 🔴combined with consistent, positive action, will make a real and lasting difference in your life.
- Whenever you realize small, seemingly innocuous poor habits have crept back into your life, take out this book.
- Every time you read this book, it entices Big Mo to pay a visit to your life.
- You know that success isn’t easy or overnight. You understand that when you’re committed to making moment-to-moment positive choices (despite the lack of visible or instant results), the Compound Effect will catapult you to heights that will astound you, bewilder your friends, family, and your competition. 🔥🔥🔥When you hold true to your why-power and stay consistent with your new behaviors and habits, momentum will carry you swiftly forward. And then, together, with that momentum and consistent, positive action, it will be impossible for the next five years to be more of the same.